The North Halton Girls Hockey Association (NHGHA) is proud to announce that we have recently redesigned our goalie development for both our representative and house league programs. We are excited to be partnering with the Blue Ice Goaltending (rep) and CM Goaltending (house league) to deliver these programs.
Representative Goalie Development Program:
Blue Ice Goaltending
Jared has been training young goalies since the age of 16. He has perfected his craft through his hockey journey that had him play four years in the Ontario Junior A Hockey League followed by being recruited to play four seasons at Brockport College in the SUNYAC NCAA league. At Brockport he holds the single season record for Save Percentage. He also had a strong high school hockey career being chosen as the Toronto Star High School Goalie of the Year. Jared works with all ages and skill levels. He wants to help develop young local goalies into realizing their true potential and reaching their hockey dreams.
- Plan and execute coaches meeting with NHGHA goalies and parents to ensure the needs of our goalies are being met (e.g., goalie inclusive practice planning, mental preparation, pre-game preparation, off ice extras)
- Perform a start of the season evaluation of each NHGHA goalie and evaluate them on the Hockey Canada framework (or equivalent), identifying strengths and areas of improvement
- Organize and hold a meeting with each Rep team Coach, internal goalie instructor (if applicable) and goaltender to review, develop and record individualized season training plans and current season goals (personal and team)
- With Coach and internal goalie instructor (if applicable) perform an end of year evaluation on each goalie and score them on the Hockey Canada framework (or equivalent) and review results compared to start of season goals and suggest off-season goals
- Each team will also budget for outside development with an instructor of their choice. Teams will be required to provide a detailed summary of these expenses to the NHGHA Director of Operations to ensure they are utilized for goalie development
- NHGHA representative teams will have access to book extra sessions with Blue Ice Goaltending (if they desire) to be determined by the coach/goalie and to be scheduled with the team. These could be for any of the following services (but not limited to):
- Join a Team practice for Goalie Instruction
- Private Goalie Training (Coach to work with instructor to secure Ice)
- Game video review and follow up session
- Focused Individual skill session (stick handling etc.)
- Goalie focused dryland session, stretching, yoga.
House League Goalie Development Program:
Chris Miniaci is a teacher with the HDSB and a goalie development coach with over 10 years of experience working with goalies of all ages and abilities. The past few seasons have seen Chris running the Milton Winterhawks house league development clinics and working with organizations like the Burlington Eagles and Garden City Falcons. He can often be found running weekly, small-group sessions on the mini rinks and has a lot of experience with this type of training. Chris believes when run properly, the mini rinks are a great way to build individual skill and technique which the goalies can then take to their practices and games. They can also provide personalized attention and focus on areas that need improvement. Chris also recognizes the need to keep hockey fun and provide positive learning experiences. He always wants his goalies leaving with a smile with a focus on keeping the sessions fun and enjoyable.
Utilizing the Acton mini rink, one hour weekly skills sessions will run on Monday and Tuesday nights for all interested house league goalies. These will be free opportunities for new goalies to try the position and gain some experience prior to their first game in goal as well as allowing those who are already playing the position to strengthen their skills.
This program will also be reviewed yearly to ensure it continues to evolve and meet NHGHA needs.
NHGHA is dedicated to goaltending development at all levels of its organization and is excited about further developing and ensuring this program is right for our present and future goalies.
Welcome Jared and Chris to the NHGHA family!
If you are a new or returning goalie, a goalie looking for a fresh start or just interested in learning about this NHGHA program or the many other programs we offer please reach out to [email protected].